Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I redeem my Tango Groupon?
- Create a profile in our system. (See the "Create Your Profile" section on the right hand side of this page.)
- Come to a 'Tango Walk and Connection' class 15 MINUTES EARLY. (Find the next class by viewing our schedule). Arriving early allows us to ensure that you are properly registered and oriented. (This involves signing the waiver, getting your picture taken for attendance purposes and paying the tax). Please bring your electronic Groupon voucher so front desk staff can redeem and complete the process.
- Once you have come to the Tango Walk and Connection class, you can attend that class again in the coming weeks and also add the “My First Tango Month” class too. To view the full Schedule click HERE
- Tell me more about the Find Your Favourite Pack
Details of the Find your Favourite Pack
- 3 lessons for $15.
- You get 1 Beginner class of Tango, Salsa, and Bachata, per person.
- Chose 1 class per dance from the eligible classes
- The Tango Walk and Connection
- My First Tango Month
- My First Salsa Month
- Salsa Footwork and Shines
- Semi- Private Bachata classes
- Bachata Footwork and Shines
All lessons have to be booked and attended within 1 month of purchase date.
All sales are final.
- Where is the studio located?
We teach classes at 4 different locations. See our schedule to identify which studio a your class will be held.
Location 1: D2 Dance Studio, 55 West 8th Ave
Location 2: iDance Studio, 119 West Broadway St.
Location 3: Let's Dance Studio, 927 Granville St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1L3
Location 4: Private Lessons. Given after booking completed via email.
- Do I need a partner?
No you do not. Contrary to popular belief, this dance is not a "one partner" dance. It is a social dance scene where you will likely dance with new people the entire night. In our classes, most of our students come by themselves, either because they don't have a partner to dance with, or because they are interested in meeting new people. Our classes are designed to teach you leading and following techniques which are smooth and clear, enabling you to dance with anyone, not only a partner (if you have one) or people in your classes.
- What is your approach to teaching?
All Baila Vancouver Dance Classes are set up as individual stand alone modules. Think of it as a Yoga Class you start when you start. Our syllabus is broken down into modules. The modules can be learned in any order as the structure of the module itself is self supporting so you will not need to know what came previously to accomplish or learn the module of the day. You can start your learning with any module but need to complete all modules to move on to the next level. The modules keep cycling through so if you start in the middle of a cycle just keep attending to class and you will get all the modules completed.
- What if I have no dance experience?
Our beginner courses aim to teach you all you need to know to start dancing Salsa and the other Latin Dances. It is very common for people to feel "funny" or awkward in the beginning, but stick with it and push through those feelings. You will soon reap the benefits of increased confidence and can relax and have fun. We strongly believe in foundation and communication through your lead and follow that are universal to Salsa (and the other partner dances). With a little time and persistence, you will be able to lead or follow almost anyone, even people you have never danced with before or people from other countries.
- What kind of people come to these salsa class?
The great thing about our classes is that we attract people from all background and ages…I’ve had students from 2 to 90 years old! What you will notice is that everyone is in it to learn and have fun!
- What if I have no rhythm and two left feet?
You are not alone. Many people feel that way, but we have great teaching techniques, extensive experience and knowledge that we will pass on to you which will enable you to "grow a right foot" :-).
In fact, our number one goal is to create great dancers who have fun no matter how much experience they have had in the past!
- How do I register?
If you would like to come to a class, go to our schedule page, find the class you would like to attend and click on the
button. If this your very first class with us, you will need to create a profile for yourself. Otherwise, you simply need to use your email address and password to sign in. The next step is to and pay for a class and reserve your spot. This guarantees your spot in the class. Please note that if you reserve a spot and fail to show up (or cancel your reservation within 24 hours prior), you will be charged for that class.
- Where do I fit into your class structure if I have some experience or have taken lessons somewhere else?
Please set up a time with us so we can dance with you to see what level your are at then we will let you know what the best course is for you. You can also simply show up at the beginning or end of any of our classes, and we can assess you then.
- What should I wear?
You may start off feeling cold, but by the end of the first 10 minutes you'll be sweating! Make sure it isn't too long so that you don't trip. Yoga pants, khakis, shorts, t-shirts and tank tops are ideal.
- What kind of shoes should I wear?
For ladies, the best choice, if you are willing to invest some money, would be professional dance shoes, but they are not necessary to start a beginner class. Any flat shoe, or heeled shoe with a smooth sole that will stay on your foot will work. No sandals or heavy clunky shoes is preferable. For men, any shoe that has a thin profile bottom is better than a clunky rubber-soled shoe. You can also just wear your socks if you have nothing else that works :-)
- Where can I buy dance shoes?
There are many stores in Vancouver. Here are some names and googling is the best way to find their current hours, discounts and location: Avalon Dance Shop, Broadway The Dance Shop, Parker Place Mall has many ballroom shoe stores.
- What Music CDs or Artists do you recommend?
Salsa: Africando, Celia Cruz, Mark Anthony, Ray Barretto, Hector Lavoie, Tito Puente, Fruko y Sus Tesos, La Sonora Carrouseles,DLG, Eddie Palmieri, El Gran Combo, Willie Colon, Carlos Vives, Adolescentes, Oscar de Leon, Grupo Niche, Victor Manuelle, Jose Alberto El Canario, Thalia, La India, Brenda Star Cumbia:Rafaga Bachata Musicians : Monchy y Alexandra, Aventura, Merengue: Alex Bueno, Elvis Crespo Tango: Forever Tango Compilation, Color Tango, Osvaldo Pugliese, Astor Piazzolla Tango Nuevo: Bajo Fondo, Gotan Project Cha Cha: Buena Vista Social Club
- How is each class structured
We always teach you the basics that you need to know for that module and since progressing in dance is based on repetition you will soon see how quickly you progress no matter when in the cycle you started.
We cover how to do a dance step and how to lead and follow in every class as these are two factors that need to be mastered.
Patterns can come and go but the language of dancing (leading/following) and look of dancing (how to do the steps) are key to getting the most fun out of dance. You will soon notice you will create your own repertoire as you keep attending classes; of course we help you all along the journey and give you set patterns to make the learning easier as well.
- What Salsa classes do you teach?
This beginner course focuses on the basic fundamentals of leading and following, basic turns and steps, rhythm and connection, you will be able to get on the dance floor as soon as possible and most likely during the 20 week syllabus not only at the end. We also spend time helping you learn about rhythm… there is no dancing without the understanding of rhythm! Last but definitely not least, we teach you how to establish the great connection needed to have a wonderful dance communication with your partner while reviewing all you learn. The fundamentals are like all the ingredients you need to make your own salsa recipe.
This class helps you link the moves you know into leadable combinations. We will also teach you easy to do moves that you can incorporate right away to your repertoire. All this in a fun social environment. Prerequisite: Salsa Fundamentals Class or equivalent.
Now that you have your feet wet, move on to a more advanced way of movement. Learn how to relax your body into the moves and integrate the basic fundamentals such as Cross Body Leads and Ochos. Learn easy-to-lead-and-follow patterns and begin to feel more like a dancer as you start combining moves together. Prerequisite: Salsa Fundamentals Class
- What Tango classes to you teach?
Argentine Tango Salon Fundamentals
In our Argentine Tango Fundamentals classes you will learn all the basic fundamentals of Argentine Tango, from steps to posture, to the feeling of the dance! All you need to know to navigate the dance floor and introductory patterns to start you in the world of improvising tango steps. Learn how to have a dancing conversation with your partner with basic elements of connection, ochos and barridas. We will be doing fun exercises to understand the language of tango and how to achieve the elegant look of tango. This class focuses on Tango Salon which is the traditional tango style you see danced at tango nights around the city and the world.
Argentine Tango Challenge
In our Argentine Tango Salon Patterns class you will be challenged with advanced Tango techniques. This class has tango fundamentals or equivalent as a requirement. We will work on complex techniques and more lengthy ideas. We will ask you to explore and discover movements on your own as well. We well delve into using different beats in the tango music such as Vals and Milonga.The Patterns class will require a level of understanding on your axis and your partner's to be able to accomplish the movements shown, such as boleos, ganchos, volcadas, etc.
In our Alternative Tango class we explore using the newly created argentine tango techniques, the likes of off axis movements, using the hips as a part of your tango step, shared axis movements and so on. We also stay true to the alternative tango music code and dance to many different styles of music not only alternative tango. This class will open your possibilities to dancing tango to whatever music you like. We also delve into the world of different tango embraces, breaking the rules of Tango salon and exploring the influences of other dances on the tango
- What Bachata classes do you teach?
Our Bachata classes are for all levels. We always cover the fundamentals of the steps, and the connection with your partner. Once you have an understanding of this it is easy to teach you any combination to add to your repertoire. Our bachata moderna classes is influenced by Sensual Bachata which has body movements within the bachata basics or together with your partner. Moves such as solo body rolls or combined. Hip sways or rib cage sways, dips, etc; and our second influence is Dominican Style bachata that focuses on funky footwork within your basic. So when coming to learn at one of our Bachata Moderna classes you would see a Bachata Moderna style with hammerlocks, spins and nice floor usage with a hint of Sensual bachata and Dominican Style bachata. Very Fun!
- What are the terms of your Liability Waiver?
As we all know, dancing is a physical activity and so we need to have a common understanding about the agreements we are making when you come to learn with us. Below iare the terms of the the agreement
I hereby agree to the following:
- That I am participating in a dance/fitness class at Baila Vancouver Dance & Dance Today. I recognize that dance and fitness classes require physical exertion, which may be strenuous and could cause physical injury. I am fully aware of the risk and hazard involved.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to consult a physician prior to and regarding my participation in the class. I represent that I am physically fit and have no psychological, medical or emotional condition which would prevent my full participation.
- I agree to take full responsibility for any risks, injuries or damages known or unknown which might incur as a result of participating in the class(es).
- I knowingly and voluntarily waive any claim I may have against Baila Vancouver Dance and Dance Today, or any faculty members or assistants for injury, loss and/or damage that I may sustain as a result of participating in class(es).
- I give Baila Vancouver Dance and Dance Today express permission to take and use photos and videos of my likeness in all/any of their promotional material without royalties or any other consideration in perpetuity.
- Memberships and class cards are non-refundable and valid for 6 months from the date of purchase unless otherwise specified with promotion. i.e. Groupon: 2 months expiry. Schedule is subject to change without notice.
I have read the above release and waiver of liability and fully understand its contents. I voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions stated above.